Saturday, August 10, 2013

Civil War Reproductions

Rally Round the Flag
Miniature quilt by
Kate Adams
2002

Detail of the center
Kate did this miniature over a decade ago, inspired by an antique quilt which is pictured on the cover of Pam Weeks and Don Beld's recent Civil War Quilts book

The original was photographed by an antique dealer.
It's an album quilt (85" x 53") from Florence, Massachusetts, with each of the
blocks bound and finished before they were joined.


See stitch size for scale in Kate's repro here.

A shot of a show in Tokyo also shows you the size of Kate's quilts.


See Kate's work here:

I keep a file of reproduction quilts. In it I found this one, which doesn't really qualify because it's made from an antique quilt and it's sculpture--- but it's a striking take on The Civil War.

Civil War Anaconda by Melissa Vandenberg

It was shown last year in this exhibit at Eastern Kentucky University.


I'd guess her inspiration was the image of General Winfield Scott's Anaconda Plan to blockade Southern ports. See more at this post:

View Vandenberg's work here:

Debbie St. Germain sent photos of a crib quilt she made 
from a pattern in my Civil War Women book.

Her quilt in primitive red, tan and blues is quite different from my original. in chrome orange and green.

Union Cradle Quilt
1999
From Civil War Women

I ought to remake this quilt as a scrap quilt. Thanks for the idea, Debbie.

See her blog:

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I think that was my most favorite quilt to make. I still have to finish my davis ladies, but at this point, I think I will go for fall and christmas and then do my summer projects after the holiday.

Debbie

Melissa Vandenberg said...

Thanks for featuring my sculpture, 'King Cotton Anaconda'.